Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Baby is fine, mom could be better

Good news: Fetal fibronectin is negative, cervix is still long and closed.

Bad news: The UTI is not to blame for the contractions. They are continuing and get worse the more I do. Sometimes just walking through the grocery store causes them to get 3 minutes apart and they won't stop until I lay down. I have a medication to take that calms contractions, it is actually an antihistamine, but it really only works if I am also laying down. This means I am mostly likely headed to bed rest or at least restrictions on work. There are several reasons this is a very bad thing.

A rundown of last week: After another trip to labor and delivery and a shot of terbutaline I am now at weekly visits to the OB. Ultrasounds to check my cervix have been good so far. I'm told to take it easy and rest (ha ha hahahaha). Thursday night our teenager, who you will remember is fairly recently adopted from foster care, absolutely fell apart. She lost it over some minor argument and repeatedly hit her wrist on the wall or a tree outside until she had a large contusion.

The following day she left school early, supposedly because her wrist was hurting, but really to get out of a biology test. While at my friends house, who picked her up from school because I was out in the field, she poured perfume on her hand and set it on fire, burning two of her fingers but not badly.

On the way to work the check engine light came on in my 15 year old car with 200,000 miles. We have already put in almost 3K in the last year and a half, we just can't put in any more. On the other hand, we can't really afford a car payment and the additional daycare for the baby. Because I don't get paid leave we won't have enough cash to buy even a clunker. I'm not sure what we are going to do yet. The problem is reading as a misfiring cylinder and something that is blocked (I forgot what it was called).

When I got back from the field I was in a meeting in which everyone in my division was told that we would all be moving sections and therefore supervisors, and that 40 positions were being cut. An unknown number of those are vacant but at least 20 people are being laid off. I've been told my job "should" be safe but I am losing the best supervisor I've ever had and I don't know if the new will be willing to work with my restrictions. They will tell us on the 30th who is staying.

Friday night M was much calmer and really helpful and I made the mistake of rewarding her by letting her go to a teen hangout for a couple of hours. I was tired and stressed and should have said no, but I was also looking forward to a couple of hours of peace. As I was going to pick her up the off-duty police officer who watches the place called me to tell me she was kicked out for smoking. Fortunately he didn't give her the $50 citation that I would have had to pay.

Saturday was our Halloween party and although I did way too much and M was in a bad mood some of the time because her friends didn't come, the party went pretty well and everyone had a good time. Sunday morning I quickly realized I would be doing absolutely nothing the entire day. I ended up laying down for four hours because I was within minutes of hitting the point the doctor told me to go to labor and delivery. It was obvious I overdid things. I am very frustrated that it didn't show until the next day. How am I going to tell when I do too much?

I missed most of Monday and all of Tuesday at work so now I'm really behind and my check will be really short. Again.

So, now I am a high risk OB patient under an enormous amount of stress. We are now getting post-adoption services from an agency here that is not the useless one we adopted through. While this is a good thing for M, it is more scheduling and appointments for me. I was already overwhelmed, I'm not sure how I'm going to manage.

My husband has mostly taken over the housework and will take over the kids if I can't do stuff, but he is still arguing constantly with M and making that situation harder.

Losing my job now will not be nearly as devastating as it was before, but it won't be fun or easy. At least I wouldn't need a car! I don't know if the timing could have possibly been worse with this pregnancy. I should look on the bright side, though - at least we are not in a zombie apocalypse (how I love netflix).

Well off to a warm bath and more timing contractions. If I end up on bed rest you will be hearing a lot more from me!

10 comments:

  1. Oh yikes! I am glad things are going well with the baby and so sorry about everything else. It is really true that when it rains it pours. I hope that M finds some peace and stability with you guys soon. Take it as easy as you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The new therapist is very hopeful that she can be helped. It really encouraged me talking to her.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a zoo, mama! Stay sane in whatever way you can. There needs to be some good luck left tobsee you through financially to next steps. I hear you on the car. I was fortunate that the hubs could swing a payment while I was on leave. Money worries are the worst and most stressful kind.

    M sounds like she is a handful, but there is so much going on. Also hoping that she falls in line and calms down to take the stress off of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a handful, but to be fair she didn' t get much time with her new family before having to deal with high school, a baby on the way, and a very sick mom. This year has been hard on all of us. Thanks for the well wishes.

      Delete
  3. Jesus, Jen. How on earth are you coping???? I am in awe. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say I was; mostly I stick my fingers in my ears and hum loudly :)

      Delete
  4. I am stressed just reading this. Just do your best to get through it and I hope you get some more positive news soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! Don' t let it rub off on you, then I would feel guilty :)

      Delete
  5. i have a child who is 19..he was just like your adopted daughter. i will tell you now that you might want to put her elsewhere before you have that baby..i had to kick my son out because he was a VERY real danger to our new little one, and it was the best thing i ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, you have so much going on. I hope that your job stays yours, and that you can get to a somewhat more peaceful place with your daughter. What she's been up to sounds normal for what she's been through, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with in your state, I'm sure. I hope calm comes to you quickly, followed by no storms at all!

    ReplyDelete