Monday, September 5, 2011

Hell of a week

We haven't heard anything about our potential match. I spoke to the therapist and made a list of questions for her and the caseworker. Neither of them has responded except the caseworker told me she was really busy and would get to them soon. I expected a wait but it feels like forever! I've managed to put it out of my mind for the most part right now because there is so much else going on.

My sister and I are planning to visit our grandfather in two weeks. He's had a lot of health issues lately and we wanted him to meet his great-granddaughters before it's too late. When I tried to get in touch with him to let him know we were coming, I found out he was in the hospital with pneumonia. This wouldn't be so bad if the daughter that lives near him wasn't such a crazy and self centered person. She has already had security called on her at the hospital. What kind of care is he going to get if they are all trying to get the crazy person to leave them alone? She is also trying to talk my grandfather into leaving his wife, who has Alzheimer's, and coming to live with her. Oh, the drama! This is going to be an interesting trip. Fortunately I am not quite so worried about my grandfather now, he seems to be doing much better.

My coworker with the foster kids he didn't want no longer has them. They called the social worker to come get the older girl after she threw a tantrum that included some verbal threats. The social worker took the girl to a mental hospital WHILE SHE WAS ASLEEP!!!!!! I'm so fucking appalled I can't see straight. The younger girl went on a cleaning spree trying to make sure she didn't get removed but it didn't do her any good. The social worker wants to keep the two girls together so she is moving them both into a group home. Those poor girls. If my co-worker had only done just a tiny bit of research into parenting hurt children he would have known she would have a melt down after visiting her mother who was on her way to jail. Maybe he wouldn't have been able to calm the girl down but I really, really don't think she was ever a threat to their baby. It absolutely kills me that I couldn't take these girls. I am feeling pretty resentful towards my husband for that one.

I can't wait for hurricane season to be over. That stupid storm (Lee) took the entire holiday weekend to pass over us. We had tornado warnings every two hours for 3 days straight and nearly constant rain. I am grateful we aren't dealing with any of the severe flooding some people are, but I am damned tired. Between my daughter being scared of the lightning, my phone constantly beeping emergency signals, and my husband blissfully snoring, I got very little sleep this weekend. Not to mention having to be the sole source of entertainment for a very bored and very demanding 5 year old. I never thought I'd be so happy to go back to work.

I hope everybody is staying out of the floods out there, hopefully this is the last of them this year.

2 comments:

  1. So wrong. So so wrong. I don't know what to say about how fucked up some people are. Those poor kids.

    I hope your grandad is OK xx

    ReplyDelete