Saturday, October 2, 2010

Think of one happy thought, and you can fly

Or so the song goes.

I've been really angry that my whole pregnancy came down to one horrible, life-changing decision and in the trauma of those two weeks I lost all of the good moments in my pregnancy. I thought they were gone for good but I think maybe I just wasn't ready to see them.

All along there was a wonderful memory close to my heart, I just wasn't seeing it for what it was. My husband and I nicknamed our baby the little alligator. The name has stuck so that we even got a little stuffed gator to remember him by. The name comes from something my daughter said. I wish I could remember how far along I was, but one day we were laying in bed, my daughter and I, and I was asking her if she wanted a little brother or sister. She first said sister and then said brother and then said two sisters. I laughed and exclaimed, "Two! Do you think there are two babies in there?"

She giggled and told me there were two babies. Then her eyes got big and in a very dramatic voice she informed me that there were ALLIGATORS in my tummy. And they will BITE me! We laughed and tickled and moved on to other things. I thought that was freaking adorable and told everyone, and Aiden's nickname was born.

All this time I've been calling him my little alligator, without ever really connecting the joy of that day to the name. I remembered where it came from, I just couldn't remember the joy involved. It was like I just couldn't see the sunshine in that memory because the hole I was living in was so very dark. I lost all ability to even REMEMBER the sun, it became someone else's fantasy that I didn't really believe in.

Suddenly one day this week I was driving home and something made me remember that day. And I smiled. It was so odd, and so liberating. Maybe I will believe the sun is there. Maybe I can even see a ray or two.

7 comments:

  1. Just lovely. I know how hard it is to remember the good times of these kind of pregnancies. That story is adorable. I love the the reasons why we call our baby boy Baby Hurricane, it always makes me smile. I hope these happy memories stay with you.
    P.S. Thank you for everything over the past few weeks. You told me a while back that I would start to feel better after my due date past. I clinged to that statement and the hope that it promised me. Thank you so very much for that. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully put.

    Thankyou so much for your lovely comment on my blog post announcing our MFI - when I hopped online yesterday and checked my email, it was like receiving a huge hug, and was just what I needed.

    Thankyou.


    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. What a sweet story, your little alligator. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful memory. I'm glad you have it... :)

    -(formerly Leslie @ evol. dead end)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking for Advise on breaking up and found this great site www.saveabreakup.com I gotta admit its great and it worked for me and helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lots of love honey. i'm glad there is a happy memory mixed in with the pain.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete