Wednesday, June 16, 2010

hilarity ensues

Today was the second day my co-workers and I spent in the Gulf looking for a giant oil slick. You would think that we could find a patch of oil miles long, but the funny thing about the Gulf is that it is constantly moving. The damn oil patches keep moving around and we can't freaking find them! Anyway - to my story:

Imagine if you will a beautiful sunny day on a peaceful, calm ocean. You see a helicopter circling a boat and notice the helicopter is signaling for the boat to go to a particular spot. The boat follows and soon you notice every boat in the area (5 total) are headed to the same spot at top speed. Our boat gets there first to see what the helicopter is pointing at. It was a very dramatic moment as we all prepared ourselves to rescue . . .

Wait for it . . .

A plastic, inflatable alligator.

I swear, as we were headed over to it, the legs on the alligator looked like two people frantically waving for help. We were about 2 miles offshore of the pass that could easily sweep someone on a float out to sea. I have to say it was quite cool to get my hat blown off by a helicopter hovering yards over my head.

The helicopter was actually scouting for us because we couldn't find the damn oil to take samples. I guess they thought there were people out there, too. What a day. At least we got a laugh out of it. Thank god there wasn't anyone out there.

Bra post coming soon, I promise. I haven't been able to wrest the computer away from my husband.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this. I feel a Carl Hiaason novel starting here. Inflatable alligator, environmental disaster, and throw in a mobster and you can nearly write that story yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have to go read Carl Hiaason. This story is not getting old. I really needed something funny, ironic that it was an alligator. That was the nickname bestowed on Aiden by our daughter. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete