Thursday, May 27, 2010

What the hell is wrong with people!?

Yesterday, just after I posted about my cycle and the oil spill, one of my co-workers made a colossal ass of himself and ruined my day. Some of you may remember a problem I had with a different co-worker, who I like to call the crazy one. The co-worker yesterday is over sixty and a dirty old man. He likes the girls (as he calls all attractive women) and has no concept of appropriate behaviors or physical boundries at work. I try to stay away from him because he is always trying to touch me (grabbing my arm - not sexual). Yesterday I was in the lab feeding the fish I had collected for a kid's day program. He always joked that I am the mommy fish and I am taking care of my babies. I never associated that joke with my loss so it didn't bother me. Yesterday, however, he made the joke again and I laughed and said I needed a dog (as something to care for that I could pet). He said, "You just need a baby."

What!! Um, hello, dumb ass, I tried that, it didn't go so well. He knows about my loss and has never said anything to me about it. But I couldn't believe he said that. I almost burst into to tears right then and there. The smart thing would have been to glare at him and leave, but no, I had to stand there and let him rip my heart out all over again. I ignored the first comment and he said something else I didn't hear. I thought it was something less idiotic so I said, "What?"

He said, and I quote, "aw, a puppy is better than a baby anyway, you don't want to be kept up all night."

Cue enraged screaming (in my head) YES, ACTUALLY, I DO WANT TO BE KEPT UP ALL NIGHT. WHY DO YOU THINK I WAS FUCKING PREGNANT? IT WASN'T JUST SO I COULD HOLD A DEAD BABY, I ASSURE YOU!

What the hell is wrong with people? I can see not knowing what to say. I can see being afraid of death or hysterical women or dead baby cooties. But to suggest to a mother who has lost a baby at all, let alone recently, that a puppy would be better? I just don't have the words. Some people are just not human beings. I seriously need some valium or I may start killing people.

5 comments:

  1. You have got to be kidding me!!!! That is insane. I am beginning to have serious doubts about the people who work in your office, they seem to say the craziest things to you on a regular basis, so not ok!!! I wish I was there to give you a big hug or a big drink or both :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so unfair to you. You did so well! You are so very strong for not crying or punching this dude in the face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously, your co-worker is horrible...i just was checking out some of the blogs from stirrup queens blogroll and seems we are sort of in the same place...trying after a loss and I like the way your write! So Hi and if its ok I am now another follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you like you can come and kick the wheelchair-neighbour and i'll come and kick him. what an insensitive bastard.

    i go backwards and forwards about what's worse, people who freeze and don't say anything for fear of saying the wrong thing or people who say ridiculous things like this. well, at least the ones who don't say anything care enough to not want to hurt you :/

    i don't think a court would convict, but still, yeah valium sounds like a good idea....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh?! It never ceases to amaze me the things that people will say. What on God's green earth would inspire this stupid man to come out with that? A puppy?
    I'm beginning to want our post title on a T-shirt. What the hell IS wrong with people?

    ReplyDelete