Saturday, May 1, 2010

Another loss

This is where I live


- Gulf Islands National Seashore


This is what it is about to become


- Picture from Exxon-Valdez


I'm heartbroken all over again. It will be decades before this area recovers. We will lose so many, many things that I hold dear. This is not only my home, it is my living, my passion, my career, and nearly everything I care about. I am so sensitized to death that I don't think I can handle washed up dolphins and pelicans drowning in oil. My god, how can I watch this? In my job (a biologist with the state Environmental Protection) I will be called on to help - I would anyway. But I will do it with acid in my stomach and a bigger hole in my heart. This time it isn't just me and my little family that will lose. It is everyone and everything that lives here. I find myself in denial right now. I keep thinking I will wake up and someone has found a way to stop it. If only. I feel selfish for not wanting this on top of my son's loss. But it would have been devastating to me anyway. I can't watch, but I have to.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so so sorry Biojen. This is a terrible loss. You will have to keep us all posted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following this story with such a heavy heart. I didn't realise you were in the thick of it. I'm so sorry. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. I'm so sorry. So sorry for all the natural beauty you will lose, all the animals that will lose their lives. I'm sorry you have to bear witness to all this. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. hang in there Jen. I am thinking of all the good work you are going to do be able to do out there (not that this should have happened in the first place). We are lucky to have your expertise helping to fight through this.

    ReplyDelete