Friday, April 23, 2010

Unbelievable

So, I'm thinking this MTHFR isn't so bad. I just take a vitamin for the rest of my life and feel better and not have any more horribly deformed babies. Sounds great.

But (you knew there was a but, didn't you?) my lovely, caring, eminately logical insurance company considers it (and any other med like it) a tier 3 medication. That means that it has the highest copay. So now I am up to four medications I must take every day to function (thyroid, folate, anti-depressant, allergy) for a grand total of $130 per month.

There is no way I can afford that - none.

So now I get to research drugs I can substitute for a cheaper copay and switch everything around. I can order all of these by mail and save a little more money.

I am Sick. Of. This. Shit.

If anyone knows anything about over the counter bio-available folate I am all ears.

4 comments:

  1. :( I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this. I am thinking of you, let me know if you need anything. I am here if you need to vent/rant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm they just had me take regular folic acid...I got it in 1000mcg pills at gnc for awhile (took 4 of those on top of prenatal) otherwise I just get the 800mcg and take 5. I've also read that folinic acid is more bio-available, which I found at the health food store and took through my first trimester on top of everything else. I also take extra B12 (500mcg) and B6 (50mg), and took a baby aspirin every day during pregnancy, although my dr. did not think it was necessary. This is all on top of my big Rainbow Light prenatal vitamin (which I love). So many vitamins!

    Here's a link to the folinic acid I found...
    mega folinic

    I'm curious what they prescribed to you! As far as I knew, they just prescribe a combo folic acid/b12/b6 vitamin and I was told I could get them separately for a lot less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so sorry. it's not fair.

    i hope you can find a cheaper option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They prescribed a prenatal called Neevo DHA, which has a form of folic acid called metafolin. I'm trying to figure out if the metafolin is necessary. If I'm understanding this stuff correctly then MTHFR mutations reduce or eliminate our ability to break down the folic acid in regular vitamins. The metafolin is already broken down. The pharmacist said that it is considered a medical food and cannot be sold without a prescription. I'm trying to learn the biochemical stuff so I can figure it out. I'll post about it when I have time.

    ReplyDelete